I wrote a quasi-academic paper about the composer Rachmaninoff (Rachmaninov) and how he used the Dies Irae theme quite prolifically.
You can download it here (3MB pdf file)
I also created a companion CD with sound clips for all the examples in the paper. I can snailmail that to you if you're interested.
(some of which should be apparent upon reading the paper)
- This paper is an amateur effort and is intended for consumption by amateurs
- It was not produced under the standards, accepted styles, or guidelines of any academic institution or scholarly journal
- I do not have formal musicological training
- It has not been peer reviewed
- It has been rejected by several journals before even reaching a peer review
- It has regrettably/inevitably been indexed by such "reputable" research tools as Google and Google Scholar
- It has thus regrettably/inevitably been cited as a reference by Wikipedia editors
- It has thus regrettably/inevitably been cited as a reference in several undergraduate music papers
I welcome all feedback! Please send all comments to:
Page last updated June 17, 2006